Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Let (U.S.) Remember...

This is a day to reflect over the past 11 years...

I remember learning about the attacks in my 6th grade Reading class. I didn't know who Osama Bin Laden was. I didn't know what the World Trade Center was. I didn't know what the magnitude of the events would really mean.
I did know that all the adults around me were stunned. I did know that all shows and sports were cancelled on TV for weeks and all that played was 9/11 coverage. I did know that I thought there was a scary man with a long beard named Osama hiding in my closet.

After being so consumed with watching the events unfold in the following weeks, I feel I began to learn to fear the world.
My small, 11 year old world was opened up to so much more.
My heart broke for the kids who lost their parents, the people I saw jumping from burning buildings, and the heart wrenching calls made from passengers on planes that were going down. And because of that...

I will NEVER forget.

Most people today couldn't tell you when Pearl Harbor was bombed. At the time, that event was just as surprising and devastating as 9/11 was. Following Pearl Harbor, our country entered the deadliest war in history, for the next four years. Brave men and women died fighting for our country and our freedom in two separate theatres. Sadly, these events do not earn the remembrance or respect that they so clearly deserve in today's society.

May our generations now work to preserve the memories and actions of those that died on September 11, 2001. (Rescue workers, police officers, firefighters, and brave volunteers)
May we remember the events that occurred that day the same on its 70th anniversary.
May our American pride continue to boast in strength and power as we continue to fight the war that now began 11 years ago following 9/11.
May we SUPPORT the selfless people still fighting this very moment.
MAY WE REMEMBER. Forever.

My handsome Marine who has dedicated the last seven years serving our country, including on two deployments.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post--I remember thinking the same things at the time. And thank you to your marine for bravely serving our country!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each & every comment! Thanks for your thoughts :)